Wednesday 7 May 2014

Meet Kathrin, Group Product Manager at Bayer Animal Health UK


This month we are talking to Kathrin, a group Product Manager in the UK


Kathrin & Jack-Russel/ Dachshund Mathilda
Hi Kathrin, what do you do in your job?

Currently I am on a 1-year- assignment in the UK, where I am a Group Product Manager responsible for four veterinary products. This means I have the opportunity to development and launch new marketing campaigns, including TV advertisements for our core brands. However, before this one year assignment, I worked in Global Veterinary Services Department at our headquarters in Monheim, Germany. In Vet Services, I conducted global studies and supported our Global Marketing colleagues. Moving from the global headquarters to the UK, I have gained deeper insights into the different business areas of the Bayer Animal Health, specifically in the UK. Being this close to the marketplace is encouraging and rewarding —it helps me see the direct impact of my work.


How did you get to Animal Health?

I have always wanted to be a vet. I knew this when I was a child. But life is not always as straightforward as you think it might be, so I started my veterinary studies at the age of twenty-five, and then went on to complete my PhD, and then went into practice to work with horses. As a practicing veterinarian, I came into contact with Bayer and started working with them consulting veterinarians. After six years in practice, being on-call 24 hours a day, seven days a week, with repetitive work, I started looking for a new intellectual challenge. And that’s when I decided to move to the Animal Health Division in Bayer. Here I have the opportunity to continue working with animals, but to also take on the challenges of a global business environment. I can truly say that my role at Bayer Animal Health is both challenging and highly rewarding.


What do you like about working in Animal Health?

Compared to other parts of Bayer, Animal Health is a relatively small division, so people know one another personally. This is an advantage. And I have met many people that are like me – they have a veterinary background, are passionate about helping animals, and want to take on new challenges in the veterinary space. And this makes the working environment both positive and collaborative.

Working in Global Vet Services is also unique because our team truly services the world. I have the opportunity to “Think Global and Act Local” while also being part of the scientific and developmental processes to create life-improving medicines. As a veterinarian, this is important for me, because even in this work, I am upholding the veterinarian code to care for animals.


Bayer’s motto is Science for a Better Life – how do you contribute to this? 

This is a really important statement. “Science For A Better Life” to me means developing high quality medicines and many years of research to create something that can improve or even save the life of an animal. There is some tremendous science behind our products and I’m proud to be part of that team.

Do you have a pet?

Yes! I have Matilda, a Jack-Russel/Dachshund mix and three Icelandic ponies, Glaesir, Ljosi and Gaela.

Icelandic pony Gaela
Icelandic pnies Glaesir (grey) and Ljosi (chestnut)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.